Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gifts

When I reconnected with a high school friend on Facebook I had the good fortune of catching up with a long lost friend, which was and continues to be lovely. I mention it here because it was at that time that I was introduced to the work of a photographer I've come to admire a great deal.

My friend Melissa's little brother is an extremely talented guy who has developed a uniquely recognizable portrait style. In 2007 he began a project wherein he took 365 portraits in as many days. They are spectacular. This one is one of my favorites and I look at it often. This one takes the breath from me. And this one makes me laugh. I love to look at the variety within the project. Then I like to look at his portfolio here, too. Different.


Where was I? My friend showed her brother some of my photos, he thought I needed a diffuser/reflector kit, and so he bought me one. He could've shot me an email suggesting this. He could've passed a message through his sister. But he ordered it for me and sent it. This is one of those moments for me. I feel thankful and inspired. I feel committed to learning to use it- the kit- and inspired to get better.

And to pay it forward.

___ ____ ____

I learned a bit while playing with my new toy today. It's easy to use it to make bad pictures:



And some pictures can show potential- potential to manipulate available light to make a prettier picture:




And some pictures can come out looking kindof pretty:






I am thankful to Bill, albeit slightly intimidated. Which is a little funny because last time I saw Bill he was a high school sophomore. And here I sit just trying to muddle my way through; lucky on occasion to capture a good moment in a pretty way, and wanting to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment