Sunday, November 6, 2011

More backlighting

Ok,  so the ever patient Lucy was a trooper again today.  I should mention that I am really looking at exposure and not composition...  Today I really wanted to see what it would look like if I exposed to capture more details in the sun-lit hair.  My goal is to love what I get sooc.  Then use Photoshop to enhance it.

Here's what I started with...

f/5.6 1/160 ISO 200  My focal length was 130,  so maybe if my ss was 1/200 then it would have been sharper.  Or maybe there was camera shake.  Or maybe the sun flare.  

Ok,  so what I like about this is that the highlights aren't completely blown.  Her messy hair still looks like hair.  What I don't like is that its so dark on her face and in her shirt that it's just not working.  Her eyes are flat with no catch-lights to speak of. 

What could/should I have tried?  Maybe a touch of fill flash-  or maybe hanging a big white blanket behind me.  Or maybe my reflector.

What did I do?  I photo-shopped it.  Of course my goal is to be way closer to this IN CAMERA,  so I don't have to tweak so much to "save" it.
  Finished image:

And,  the before and after:



2 comments:

  1. I think using a fill flash would have been an easy solution which would have helped create the catch lights in her eyes as well. Many people never think to use flash outside in the sun but some times it's the best time to use it.

    Reflector would be better probably but you'd have to have extra hands to do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm sorry...focused on the tech side only. I should also say that this is a very nice portrait. I love the background.

    ReplyDelete